Thunder and Lightning: A Thunder of Dragons playtest 15 May

 


A Thunder of Dragons playtest 2 on 15 May.

Quite a few revisions to the game for this:

  • Treasures now linked to conjuring magic
  • Magic cards divided into four levels
  • After an attack a location receives a modifier, Mortal units become more powerful in subsequent attacks. The modifier can spread from location to nearby location, as they become alerted, this is to deter players from simply attacking the same location over and over

In the game between Nick, narrating, and Dave.

After setting up the map we we both flew onto it and set up our Lairs, I couldn't really decide where to go, chose a Plains location shielded by mountains and forest.


I went first in the next round and conjured two level zero spells, disappointing... 

Dave flew to a nearby town and dove in for an attack - foolhardy I thought, without magic, but figured he'd learn his lesson. In fact, after a tough fight he emerged victorious, but bloodied, he lost his flying ability due to a critical hit, and was forced to limp back to his lair, with five wounds...    ...and three Treasures. The Town scraped up a Pursuit Force of Archers and Foot to chase after him.

I calmly conjured again, preparation is key!

Dave recovered his wounds, and then used a Treasure to conjure Level Zero magic, all the while the Pursuit Force lumbered toward him through heavy terrain

Right, time to show him how it's done, I flew off to a Town nearby, and pressed home the attack, only to find the Town defended by four Archers...   and four Knights - those guys are tough!

   


I distracted one of the Knights with Magic, attempted bribery on the others, but they were resolute, and even managed to Sneak into one of the Knight's defences, but it was hopeless, I managed to grab a single Treasure before having to take to the skies back to my Lair with the Treasure and seven wounds




The Town sought revenge by scrambling a Pursuit Force of Archers, Foot and the three surviving Knights.

The Pursuit Force searching for Dave's Lair found it and piled in on him feverishly. But with his Lair bonuses Dave made short work of them.

My Pursuit Force skirted round some Mountains, and arrived at my Lair much sooner than I'd expected, and found me on the first search. I was moderately confident that with my Lair bonus I should be able to fend them off, even though not fully recovered from wounds, and those three Knights in the force, but then…

… there was a tremendous bolt of lightning and I was engulfed in a crackling burst of charge - Dave had used a God Bolt magic card against me! 


I was seriously wounded. Helpless to defend against the force now, we hastily, checked the rules, and I was forced to flee by air and head for safety elsewhere on the map, abandoning my Lair and my hoard of Silver coins in it!

Dave attacked a Town again, but this time was seriously bloodied, and a large force set off after him.

A quiet period ensued while I carved out a new Lair, recovered my Health, and conjured some new Level Zero magic.

Dave, slightly concerned about the force approaching, and searching for, his Lair, conjured through a series of Spells to get some goodies, when finally they burst in on him. At the very entrance to the first cave he cast his first Spell, another God Bolt, which crackled into the assailants and slew a good deal of them. After that they were like a bad afternoon tea, toasted to a crisp by his repeated Flames attacks.

In the meantime, feeling the game was already lost, I flew to a local Town and attacked. Success, I trampled down the Archers and made swift work of the remaining Foot. Three treasures! No wounds!

Whilst Dave was till preparing to be attacked I launched another swift attack, and success again, more Treasure including Gold coins and an Ankh.


With our time available fast running out, we each prepare an attack on a Castle, I cautiously by conjuring Level Two spells; Dave, as usual, by flying straight in.

We set up his attack, hordes of archers backed up by Foot and six Knights in Stone defences.

The archers are quickly engulfed in Flames and destroyed, but one of them gets a lucky Critical Hit, and Dave's Flames ability is lost. He realizes without this he faces defeats and wisely withdraws.

With no time left for playing we end the game and I declare myself the victor! (Well, I do have more value of Treasures.)

Thoughts after:

  • An exciting game! Despite the pauses whilst we had to find and cut out the relevant spells and treasures, the general pace and flow was good
  • Some of the Level Zero spells seemed more useful than Level One - we'll soon fix that
  • The mechanism for spreading Alerts (Location modifiers) was based on a die roll against distance, we will introduce a "Spiteful Monk" mechanic, a single Monk will spawn from each attacked Location, and walk around the map at random, spreading the alert everywhere he goes. Players will be able to intercept the Monk(s) (if to their advantage) to put a stop to this
  • Think we need a bit more detail around Treasures, they are a bit amorphous at the moment, maybe a mild deck-building element?
  • We discussed adding an empire building concept - control of Locations perhaps?
  • And perhaps have the odd power artefact (as opposed to religious artefact which we should rename to relics) to give magic-like powers that are re-usable, or have permanent effect
  • Perhaps players can conjure lesser-dragons, who can be sent off on errands?

Comments

  1. I was dumb to waste that God Bolt. I had two, and wasted the other one on that pursuit force when I was unlikely to have any real trouble dealing with them in my lair. I could have done with both God Bolts later during the attack on the castle, but (dumbly) didn't allow for the possibility of losing my flame attack. Perhaps I'd have had a better plan, but I rushed the attack to get in while the castle wasn't reinforced by an Alert.

    The Alert system was quite fiddly and felt a bit random, but I think the vengeful monk mechanic will solve that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have a set of monks then: spiteful, vengeful, hateful, oh a prize for anyone coming up with at least twelve

    Yeah, that's the thing with spells like that, it's just to tempting to blast the first thing you can, particularly another dragon, and at the time I thought that had won you the game

    ReplyDelete
  3. There might be opportunities to spawn other "wandering NPCs" to add to the sense of a developing narrative. So the monks put any town they visit on Alert, but there could also be Pilgrims generated if a relic is grabbed, say, or Dragon Hunters if a pursuit force is slain in open terrain, and they have different effects? Eg, a Wizard NPC who conjures spells, so all players have a good motivation to go out and slay him before he burns through them all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a couple of ideas we could think about. First, to create a sense of the game evolving a narrative, what about "experience" for settlements? At the start the only settlements placed would be Villages & Towns (both on the same track) and Churches. (They would still be about 10% of the tiles.) If anyone attacks a settlement and leaves any survivors in the defending force, the settlement moves up a step: Village to Town to Castle to Palace, or Church to Abbey to Cathedral. If anyone attacks a settlement and kills all the defenders, the place moves down one step.

    The other idea is about spells that are conjured but then chucked away because the player can't hold them. Instead of them just vanishing out of the game, they could go in a pile to be used by NPC Wizards. (A type of Hero.) When a player is fighting a force that includes a Wizard, the next player round the board gets to decide which spell the Wizard will use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched the Beowulf 2007 movie, (Beowulf voiced by Ray Winstone but looking a lot like Sean Bean)

    Some of the scenes are straight out of Thunder of Dragons!!!!!!!! Beowulf's son, the dragon wiping out hordes of archers, and taking hits from siege weapons, it's all there, I'd say they were inspired in the film by the game but the timeline may not support this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that movie. Ray Winstone's performance takes a lot of getting used to ("I'm 'ere to kill your monstah!") but the dragon is good. That was a Neil Gaiman script. Another writer who has ripped off A Thunder of Dragons, of course, is George RR Martin!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts